Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Thoughts 11/2012

Since last night, I have been feeling a little (and sometimes a lot) down about the election results yesterday. However, today I was buoyed by something I read. I am currently reading a biography about President Harold B. Lee, the 11th President of the LDS church, titled "Humble Servant, Spiritual Giant: The Story of Harold B. Lee" by Blaine Yorgason. It's an enjoyable read thus far. Tonight, while reading about his first experience as an Apostle with a Prophet of God passing away (Heber J. Grant), the following is stated regarding his experience - citing a previous biography written by a relative:

"[Harold B. Lee] was struck by the simple, orderly way in which the transfer of such vast authority was effected, without dissent or controversy, and without any divisive "campaigning", which often accompanies changes in ecclesiastical or other leadership."

I am so grateful for this process and the knowledge that our Father in Heaven is in charge of His church and kingdom on the earth. He selects his Apostles through revelation and then whomever is the senior Apostle when the Prophet of God dies has been specifically selected by a loving Heavenly Father to be the next Prophet. I have such trust and feeling of certainty when a new prophet is called and I love the opportunity to sustain him. I am grateful for the stability that this process provides to the individual members specifically and the Church as a whole. In the nearly 200 years since the organization of Christ's church in the latter-days, there have been just 16 Prophets. I am grateful for this stability as well. And, while each of them have some different focuses or teachings/encouragements/cautions that they emphasize, the message and the Gospel of Jesus Christ is always the same. I am so grateful for this reassurance in my life and, especially, for the timing of this reminder for me today.

No comments: