Wednesday, January 9, 2008
How old am I?
Recently in a group at work there was a new resident and so we went around the group of 15 or so (including one staff member and myself) and introduced ourselves, including our age and where we're from. Typically the stoic behavioral staff don't involve themselves much in things like this, but I typically do. When it got to be my turn I just said I'm older than everyone else and left it at that. Then I decided that it would be fun, after introductions, to see how old the kids thought that I was. Keep in mind that they don't know hardly anything about me in terms of my personal life except for things that I like to do, though they do know that I'm just recently graduated from grad school. They don't know that I have two little kids at home and one on the way. Anyway, so I asked them all to write down privately on a piece of paper how old they thought that I was. The lowest guess was 24 and the highest guess was 48 (two kids guessed that!). The next closest guess to 24 was 31. When averaging the age-guesses out it was discovered that the resident's thought I was about 39 or so, ten years older than I actually am. The staff member guessed that I was 44! I was a little flabergasted and was confused about whether I should be proud, glad, sad, or mad. I'm still a little confused by that. Let's keep in mind that I have a lot of gray hair and a receding hair line. But I also stop on occasion and throw the football on the rec yard with these kids or play a quick game of bump on the basketball court with them. I mean come on, 48! Are you serious. That's almost as old as some of their grandparents! Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny and I had them pretty upset when, after they finished guessing and I read off their guesses I said "alright, thanks for guessing let's move on to todays topic for group" and acted like I wasn't gonna tell them. I told them I'd be turning 30 in 2008. They were surprised.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT! I swear, that is what gray hair does to you! You don't look that old, at all. What are you wearing? You don't have on pants with pleated fronts do you? Maybe you should go shopping with Braden...no, Jordan for some updated clothing. I would have really regretted opening that can of worms if I had that response. Really.
Jeff: This is so funny! 48, you have the Farmer family gift of youth. Believe me, I tried to pass on the Hamm genes as much as possilbe, but Mom would not allow me to control things like that.
Dad
Post a Comment