Wednesday, September 24, 2008

LIfe is Precious

I don't post from work on this blog... typically. I just don't know what else to do right now. This morning, I was looking at who had blogged recently and saw that my friend's 15-month old son, Evan, passed away yesterday morning and that both he (Tymon) and his wife (Bridget) had blogged about it to inform people. I'm just sitting here at work balling and wishing I was a better parent and took advantage of each precious moment with my 3 little ones that I love so much but don't always appreciate from moment-to-moment. As a parent, you realize on some level that something like this could happen to one of your kids, but you obviously can't live in a constant state of worry and fear and protectiveness and you have to live with the belief that this won't happen to you (a good and generally healthy defense mechanism). Even though I know that my family (and, fortunately, my friend's) is an eternal one due to the nature of our marriage in the Seattle Temple, a loss like this would be extremely devastating. I work with trauma of all kinds on a daily basis at work, so I know that life goes on but is typically never really the same. I know that such would be the case for me.

While I can't quote it off-hand, I often remember Neal A. Maxwell discussing trials and difficulties and talking about how it often feels that these experiences carve out spaces in our souls. He went on to say that that new space often makes greater room for added love, compassion and empathy for others. I know that Tymon and Bridget will have an added measure of love to show to their three other children (soon to be four as Bridget is expecting their first daughter) in the long-run as they move through this loss of their little Evan.

Any prayers or thoughts in their behalf would obviously be greatly appreciated. I know I'll hug my little ones a little longer and have a little more meaning when I tell them of my love for them tonight. God be with you Bridget, Tymon, Graeden, Elliott, and Jett (as well as Jovana).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff. I'm Tymon's sister. Losing Evan, as a nephew, has been devastating for me, so I can't imagine what Tymon and Bridget are going through.
Anyway, I noticed the link on Tymon's blog page, so skipped over here to read it. I just wanted you to know that I loved what you wrote. Thank you.
Tamara

Mindy said...

Jeff, I just read about the loss of Tymon and Bridgett's little son. Thank you for your lovely words. I just put my little girl down for a nap and had to peek in on her. We can't focus on all of the scary things that can happen, but we can treasure the wonders of our children.

Karen said...

hi Jeff
I too am a relative of Tymon's-living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.I also noticed your blog and popped into it and was so touched as you wrote your emotions down.
Your caring for Tymon and family is very touching. Every prayer said is one step closer to healing for them as they go through this new journey of pain.
Hold all your loved ones close and never be afraid to hug them anytime or anyplace as they grow up.My boys are 22 and 20 and we still always hug when we meet and when we leave each other.
Sincerely
Karen

Tymon said...

Hey Jeff, thanks for the post. Just when I think I'm too exhausted to cry any more I have to go and read your beautiful comments and weep one last time (hopefully) for the night. I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Love ya.

Rebecca Pierce said...

Mom mentioned this to me, it's one of those things that just HURTS, and my heart breaks for them.

The last six months have been such a reminder like that for me. Many unimaginable trials have been circling around me and they aren't personally related enough to blog about, but they have changed me in major ways.

It is very sobering, humbling and helps us to refocus when things like this impact us, and I guess if there is a silver lining, that's it.

When I'm sitting in church with people who have lost twins, and another who lost the mother of his three young children, and another who lost her husband...it just doesn't work to express any impatience or exasperation to my children, and I am grateful for that. Life isn't short for us all, but it is precious.

Clearly there's basic things we all should do to protect our children, but situations such as Tymon's son are so random and unforeseeable, as are many losses in life, it's best to focus on what we have while we have it and cherish all the little things we shouldn't take for granted.

Biddle Family said...

jeff,
Thanks for posting about this.. if it weren't for you posting the other day I probably wouldn't have know. My heart has been saddened and heavy these last few days. My thought have been towards the terrible tragedy. What a sweet little boy he was. I think of him and at the same time somewhat compare him to Brig.. even though there is a small difference in age, Brig is 22 months.. I cannot think of such a loss. This has definitely motivated me to be a more patient mom... I was about to get upset at Drew today for writing on the couch and as I was talking to him he looked me in the eyes and I could only image if this were my last day with him..
Thanks again!