Friday, November 30, 2007

Metroblogger?

Okay, so in college I heard the term "metrosexual" which I understand is a male who is really trendy in what he does/wears and spends as much time worrying about what he looks like as an average diva would (some people might consider Braden a metrosexual because he spends a ridiculous amount of time in front of the mirror and generally getting ready for his day [Amanda, has that changed or can I get an "AMEN"] but Braden's clothing choice and the recent pics posted on Amanda's blog might state otherwise, but he's had glimpses of a metrosexual image). I've also heard this "metro" prefix added to other things to denote a male who does things that typically only women do. While in some ways I would like to be able to dress trendy and cool, I'm just not interested in spending the time and could really care less what 60 teenagers think of me when I go to work or what I look like when I run an errand to Wal-Mart. But, since I have been in the blogger world I have realized there is a rare few of us males that blog. I'm really into this blogging thing and find myself searching for fun reasons to take pictures of something or have a cool experience that I can blog about. I also love looking at others blogs and looking at their links to track down other people that I might know that are blogging. And each time I got to a site that might be labeled "The Merwins" or "Braden and Amanda's blog" or something I go there with the knowledge that although the blog is representative of their family or that couple, it is written by the female. This goes without fail. Please find me someone else that you know that has a family blog that is written by the male. Also, do women find it awkward to post comments on a males blog? Seriously, just cause I'm a metroblogger, doesn't mean I have to be shunned from the blogging community... does it? I don't remember anything when I was signing up for a blog that there was a requirement to be a female, even if you represented a male. But then again, I didn't completely read the "terms and conditions" section, which may have included that requirement. I already know I'm an odd man, but does that mean I have to be out? There are only a small percentage of males in the mental health field (I was one of three male graduates in my class of 31), so I'm kind of used to being singled out and being different. And, come to think of it, I did work in the Bridal industry for 2.5 years. This is getting a little creepy, I'll sign off now. Any feedback? Thoughts?

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Yes, it is creepy Jeff. Iv'e never heard of the term 'metro' before, but I think it might be significant that you do... :) Just kidding. If it's any consolation, no-one has ever posted a comment to any of my posts...then again, I just posted my 3rd post thus far in the life of our family blog page. Anyway, I'm glad you are blogging. At first, when I heard of your blog I thought it would be something Mary had done, but I soon realized reading it that it was you. Very cool I think. I feel like it's a way to get to know you better. So post away- your being a male doesn't creep me out. But then again this is me we are talking about...perhaps some other feedback anyone? :):) Jen

kaitlin said...

ha this was funny.
i don't think its weird that you blog, it makes me happy!
i love reading about your family and what everyone is up to!

Rebecca Pierce said...

This is great. What a well written, entertaining entry. I have to say that you may have coined a new term...you should contact wikipedia. I do know of two male bloggers. If you are on my blog, you can click on Sarah Scoresby and it always confuses me because it is written by her husband, but I always read it thinking it is her. Sometimes it is her. Then Angi Danielson is usually by her husband and my good friend Dave Strom is often the author on his family's blog. He even tagged me once. You are a rare find, but you aren't the only one. You should really connect with these other male bloggers...one is a choir director and the other is the son of a well known LDS marriage therapist...maybe he's in mental health as well...Dave works for the government, but he is a guy that I have been shopping with before and he's all about seeing chick flicks and dancing and fashion. Maybe most metrobloggers are metrosexuals? I see a PhD disertation in the works here.

Amanda said...

As far as Braden taking a long time in the mirror, that has drastically changed since we got married, I think we just dont really care how we look anymore! EXCEPT, yesterday for church he let me straighten his hair because its been growing out and he said he felt "metro"! So, AMEN! Love the entry, its a good thinker!

Anonymous said...

A metro is much more extreme than I ever was. These guys get facials and wax their eyebrows after they get a spray tan.

jayne said...

You probably don't remember me, but I know you remember my sister Lyndsey and my brother Charlie. Last time I saw you was when you were riding a dukes of hazzard hotwheels around a could-a-sac with all the other boys in the neighborhood. I just wanted to say that I think this Metro-blogger theory of yours is hilarious, and probably true to an extent. I do know of a few husbands that blog however. I actually try to get mine to, but he says he has nothing to say that he wants others to read. Way to go on starting a new trend, and keeping up with it even if you feel you are in the minority. Am I creepy because I stumbled upon your blog and am now leaving a comment??...........probably

Eric said...

You know, Jeff, the day I learned you worked at David's Bridal, I had to wonder if you were a "metroemployee". But at least it was David's, and not Marsha's Bridal (of course, does that just mean that you were a metroemployee working at a metrocompany?).