Sunday, December 23, 2007

Chooooo Choooooo


A while ago we were given some train track pieces that have since been added on from local garage sales and playing with the trains is something the whole family loves. Mary and I enjoy building the tracks and trying to make them creative and big (so that two little kids can coexist on the same track). I confess that I'm really proud of some of my engineering skills with this train track building business, as evidenced by the following conversation:

Jeff approaches Mary, who is in another room doing something productive and says, excitedly "Mary, come check out this new track that I built, I used all of the pieces except two... this ones pretty sweet!"
Mary: "Okay hun, I'll be there in a second"
Jeff waits a few minutes and then approaches Mary again: "Hurry hun, uh... Sarah really wants you to see it"
Mary sees right through "Sarah's" request but grins and comes and looks at it anyway.
Mary: "Wow, that ones pretty cool... nice work"
Jeff: "Yeah, did you notice how the track goes under both tunnels and I use both the splitter and the transfer pieces and that there's only two left over"
Mary: "Cool"
Jeff thinking to himself: "dude if my mom were here and I was like 5 or 6 years old I would get a way better reaction than what I got out of you just now.... don't you understand how awesome this is?!"

Anyway, the kids love playing with trains and if we build them a big enough track they can play together for awhile and generally get along and enjoy themselves. Sarah's getting better at fixing little breaks when Nathan wrecks something trying to scoot over it. At times we have to deal with repeated "Owie" reports from Nathan, which mean that his train is broken and needs fixing. I still get a little upset when Nathan decides it's wrecking crew time and destroys one of my precious and well-designed tracks.


What focus and determination! Mary and I just love watching Nathan play as he gets so absorbed and it is so cute to watch him scoot the train along a little and then scoot/crawl his little body to the next position to move his train a little farther. It's icing on the cake when he starts to make the sounds voluntarily or when he claps and says "Yay" when he's able to fix the train or his track after an "owie". Could this age be any more fun?


Sarah loves to play too but often gets a little upset when dad builds the track and then moves on. She loves to put the trees around the track and build little communities but has realized that they always get trashed as Nathan maneuvers himself around the track. She is usually really patient when their tracks cross or their trains are headed for one another. She is such a great big Sis and Nathan really adores her. Nice bangs huh!

1 comment:

-Jordan said...

haha those are great pics. Of thoe forts too!! Sarah's hair is getting long!