As fairly new homeowners experiencing our first spring in the area and in our new home we're plenty ambitious... no it hasn't warn off yet... completely. So, we've decided to start a garden in our little backyard. Thankfully, unlike many new builds around here, our soil seems like it's pretty good and not too rocky. We still need to pull the grass section out but the other day we pulled out the weedy area and the soil looks pretty nice (like I would know!). The garden will be about 18 x 18 feet, a decent chunk of our back yard, but it'll be nice to have some fresh, cheaper, home-grown veggies. We're planning on planting cucumber, tomatoes, zuchini, squash, carrots (maybe) and I think Mary wants to do some strawberries. Once we remove the grass we're planning on renting a rototiller next week to churn up the soil before planting. We'll probably be planting about the time Jane is born, so we'll see how that goes. We're optimistic about the results but we'll see if the daily effort ends up being worth it. I'm sure the kids will be excited about watching it grow and will be anxious to help in the watering process! Below are some pics of our work. Oh and Sarah wanted me to mention that our neighbor's dog's name is Chico.

2 comments:
That's so fun you're planting a garden. I am so looking forward to the day when I can do that. It's gonna be a while. And you're naming your baby girl Jane! That's awesome.
That is ambitious! I planted a few things last year, and never got anywhere with it. I think I planted too late. Maybe I'll try this year. We'll see.
Post a Comment