Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fillin' Drawers

The other night, I was helping Sarah and Nathan brush their teeth while Mary was in Nathan's room putting laundry away. As I was walking out of the bathroom I heard some rear-end emissions coming from Jane's direction in the living room. I said "Whoaaaaa, Jane is really filling her drawers!". To which Sarah replied "No Daddy! Mommy's filling the drawers." And I looked over and realized that Sarah had seen Mary putting some of Nathan's clothes away in his dresser drawers. It was a funny, coincidental play on words that Sarah had caught. I laughed at that one for a while. And I had to explain to Mary (who had overheard the whole conversation) what Sarah had heard and seen and why she interpreted it that way. As adults, we use sayings where our intended meaning has a vague (at-best) connection to the literal meaning of something. But when I made my statement, Mary's mind interpreted my intended meaning without thinking about the literal meaning of what I said while Sarah understood only the literal meaning. If I hadn't seen what Mary was doing at nearly the exact moment that Sarah corrected me, I probably wouldn't have caught on either. I thought this was pretty funny! Sorry I couldn't find a good pic on Google images to fit this post.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Laughed out loud - it's probably better you didn't find a picture for this one. :)

Rebecca Pierce said...

Love it! I've got some pictures for you.