Sunday, February 24, 2008

Biggest Loser!


I hope that that will be me! At work they're having a weight loss challenge that goes from the beginning of Feb to the beginning of May. I've lost about 6 lbs. so far and have done quite well. I have never had a financial reward ($50 - 150 dollars for the top three finishers) placed in front of me to motivate to lose weight/get in shape, so I decided to venture. I hope that I can win one of the prizes and in the meantime lose some weight and exercise more. I've done a sporadic job at doing push-ups and sit-ups over the last few weeks and enjoyed going for a run yesterday, even if it was less than two miles. I'm terribly sore today though, which is sad, but I haven't really exercised much these last few months. Anyway, I've been eating really healthy and I'm surprised at my resolve to do this. Mary, of course, has been very supportive of this change in eating. While we are eating more healthy, my biggest roadblock continues to be portion-size and not eating too much. I like food and I hate to see it wasted. I like food because it was always a reward in my family and a way that my mom shows us that she loved us growing up: good grades = dinner out, birthday = favorite sugar cereal, special event = lot's of good food. This continues today, but in different ways :^). I think that my not wanting to see food wasted is closely related to at least two things. First, if my grandma was being encouraging of us kids she would tell us that we should all be members of the "clean plate club", but if we left food on our plate she would gently but sternly tell us to clean our plates or there wouldn't be dessert for us, can't blame my grandma for this one given the era that she grew up in. The second one is that I lived in the Philippines for two years and saw real, heart-wrenching poverty and I just hate to see food wasted as a result of that. Anyway, I'm trying to lose weight, eat better, exercise more and earn a reward. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

kaitlin said...

it was funny because i must have been reading your blog while you were updating it the other day...i went to comment on one of your posts and then when i clicked publish it said the post wasn't there. and then i saw a piece of it in this post so i figured you had copied and pasted it!
anyways.
i was going to say about the running...i don't really love running either. but its something easy to do so you can work out. so i do it anyways.

Rebecca Pierce said...

Don't forget that you also had to claim your portions at our house. If anything out of the norm...crackers, cookies, sugar cereal, etc. entered the house it would be consumed immediately. I remember getting a bowl of sugar cereal, covering it with saran wrap and hiding it in my bedroom until breakfast.