Sunday, February 3, 2008

Tribute to President Gordon B. Hinckley





We were in McCall when a friend called us and told us that the beloved Prophet and President of the LDS church, Gordon Bitner Hinckley, had just recently passed away. Like many have said it was a somber, bitter-sweet moment for me as I considered the loss of an amazing, loving, humble man that I never met but he meant so much to me. At the same time I almost immediately thought of his reunion with his sweet wife, Marjorie who had passed on several years earlier. As we watched the funeral services yesterday on the internet, I loved hearing all of the stories and tributes to this ever-humble man of God. He spoke out strongly against the evils of pornography, condemned all forms of abuse, yet constantly encouraged others to try a little harder and expressed his eternal optimism and hope that we could be better people. His humor will always stand out to me as a man that had a very pure sense of humor and wit. He was such a hard worker, at the age of 97 he was still at the church offices up until the Wednesday before he passed away! I loved this wonderful man of God. He was a Prophet to me and his 12 years of service as the President of the LDS church were during the most formative years of my life, as a teenager and young adult. He loved people from all walks of life and showed an interest in so many different things. I will miss him but am glad that he is with his wife and beloved parents and step-parents. What sweet and greatly-anticipated reunions!

No comments: