Friday, October 3, 2008

Blogging Blessings

I know that there are many blessings for writing a blog. I really enjoy blogging and wish I had more time to do it both for documentation purposes and cause I enjoy writing about quirky/fun things and stuff. I'd like to create my own personal blog but I don't really have the time to do that right now. Anyway, one of the biggest blessings of having a blog is connecting with and staying connected with people that you otherwise may not remain connected to. Such is the case with my friend Tymon. He served in the Elder's Quorum Presidency with me shortly after my mission and was a housemate with my cousin Jimmy. We've kept in contact over the last year or so via our blogs and it's been great. When the tragedy of the passing of his son happened last week, I was extremely saddened, yet grateful that blogs (and obviously his and his wife's) allow us to remain connected with others so we can learn and grow from their experiences. It was a blessing for me to learn of his family's tragedy and be reminded of the tenuousness of life and the importance to treasure each moment as a parent. It has been a point of re-evaluation for Mary and I as parents, and for that blessing I am grateful.

Along those same lines, my best friend Taylor has a blog that his wife, Leah writes and they posted real quick last week that they were headed to Utah. So when I saw that I called him up and we were able to host them for a night on their way back to Portland. If it hadn't been for the blog, we may not have connected as their decision to go to Utah was a very last second decision. We had a wonderful time with them, which I'll post about later, that was made possible by these great blogs. Anyway, I'm grateful for this way to connect and remain connected to other people that have spent various amounts of time in my life or Mary's life or both and that through this medium we can continue to have an impact on one another. It's great!

4 comments:

Tymon said...

Thanks for posting this Jeff. I have thought about the blessings of blogs a lot this past week. Though I don't mind talking about Evan's passing, it has been nice to just post once and refer people to the blog for the story rather than retell the whole thing over and over again. Also, with the passing of any child under two years old there is an automatic criminal investigation. I was able to refer to my blog for my written statement because I had put down times things happened that I later wasn't as clear about. I have been way more faithful with the blog thing than I generally am with a journal. And, of course, I love being able to keep in touch with great friends like you!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you whole heartedly. Because of the network people get from blogging, we have been able to find you guys as well as other we knew from the Institute. It's nice to see the where life has taken people and what their experiences have been. I love looking at the pictures of your family. You all look happy.
Love, the Hsus

Rebecca Pierce said...

I agree. I love how close I can feel to people even in our extended family, cousins like KK at the BY and Megan and such, and mission friends and even my siblings! Anyway, those are two good examples that you experienced recently.

Cailean said...

Hi Hamms - it's the Kohagens. We've read your blog for a little while and love it. We were also saddened by the Johns' experience but grateful we could know of Evan and his life. Blogs are amazing and have helped a lot of us keep up on our journals when we otherwise were struggling. You have a beautiful family!