Thursday, June 12, 2008

I LOVE How Kids Think!

So on Sunday we were getting dinner going. Sarah was helping me cut some veggies and then frying them up. Then Mary started to get into the dreaded cutting of the onion. It was a pretty potent onion and Sarah wanted to help with that as well. So she went over and stood next to Mary while she went about the task, quickly. Mary finished and Sarah was complaining of the onion being "spicy" and hurting her eyes. She went away rubbing her eyes with her hands as Mary was saying "hurry and go wash your hands and don't touch your eyes!" Sarah emerged a few minutes later after washing her hands and looked like this...

.... so we naturally had to take a picture! Her response to our open-ended inquiry about why she had the glasses (we already were laughing and had an idea!!): "For the onions mom!" (with a "Duh" look on her face) Looks like the onions got the best of Mary!

But here's the funny thing. I was looking for a funny picture on Google Images to put to fill the gap that I wanted between the above text and the picture and when I searched for "onion eyes" it came up with, among other things, these:


They're called the "Onion Action Goggles" which apparently protect your eyes from the toxic vapors. Pretty funny that they actually have these out there and Sarah came out of her room with something similar. Who knew?

4 comments:

The Merwin Family said...

I need those glasses! That is my biggest issue with cooking-ONIONS! They add so much to everything yet are painful to deal with! I end up so puffy and red in the eyes after I cut them! I have tried all the hints out there, light a candle next to you while you are cutting, put an unlit matchstick in your mouth while cutting, run your hands under cold water, etc... NONE OF THEM WORK! Nice glasses Sarah! Good idea!

Mindy said...

Hmmm...onions don't make me cry unless they are incredibly strong. I love onions and use them all the time with no tears. This is really random, but it reminded me of the 2boys in "The Kite Runner." The one boy writes a story where a man's tears turn into gold or diamonds. Eventually, he kills his wife to produce a huge amount of tears. The other boy says, "Why did he have to kill his wife? Why didn't he just cut an onion?" Kid genuis, right?

Leah Remillet said...

Sarah is a genius inventor in the making. She saw a problem and created a solution. Awesome, clever and adorable problem solving!!
Onions always get me... I think I need some onion action goggles!!

Happy Father's day and enjoy the gift of great summer weather for the next week!

Rebecca Pierce said...

Wow, interesting product. Darling little Sarah, love her mind!